Roasted Ontario Beet Salad With Apple and Walnuts
- 4-5 medium Ontario Beets (unpeeled, scrubbed)
- 3 large Ontario Granny Smith apples
- 1 Lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 cup Walnuts (toasted & chopped)
- ¼ cup Walnut or Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. White balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- ¼ cup Soft Ontario Goat cheese (crumbled)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wrap beets in double layer of foil. Roast on baking sheet in 375°F oven until tender, about 45 minutes to
one hour, depending on the size of your beets.
- In the meantime, toast walnuts in a non stick pan over medium low heat, tossing occasionally, for about 15 minutes
- Core apples, leaving skin on, and cut into bite sized chunks. Put into a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Remove beets from oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Peel skin and cut beets into bite-sized chunks.
- Toss cooled beets, apples, and walnuts together
- Whisk together oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and lemon zest.
- Toss dressing with beets, apple, and walnuts.
- Taste and season with salt and or pepper.
- Garnish with goat cheese.