Savoury Rhubarb Chutney
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 4 cups Rhubarb, chopped (approx. 1 – 1.5 lbs), 1/2” dice
- (Reserve approx 1/4 cup – finely chopped)
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced thin (approx. 1 cup)
- 3/4 cups Brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Ras El Hanout (Epicentre Moroccan Blend) spice
- 1/2 cup Golden raisins
- 1 tsp Corn starch (optional)
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- 300 gr. soft goat’s cheese.
- Sauté onions until translucent, add garlic and rhubarb (except reserved portion).
- Cook approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add Brown sugar and vinegar, bring to a quick boil.
- Reduce heat, add ginger, spices, and raisins.
- Allow to cook until rhubarb is softened (approx. 5-10 minutes). Add cornstarch (dissolved in 2 Tbsp cold water) to thicken. Return to boil and remove from heat.
- Rhubarb pieces should still be visible – be careful not to over cook.
- Stir in reserved (raw) rhubarb. Allow to cool.
- Serve on toasted crostinis with soft goat cheese. Also excellent with pork, on sandwiches, or use as a dip with raw vegetables.