Strawberry Gingersnap Verrines
- 250g gingersnap cookies, about 1 package, crushed
- 4 cups ripe strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 2% or higher
- 3/4 mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract or paste
- Zest of 1 lime, plus squeeze of juice
- Pinch of salt
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
On hot summer days the best desserts are the ones that come together without having to turn on
an oven or a stove. This is why dessert cups like this are on heavy rotation in my kitchen for family BBQs, dinner party, or a quick dessert on a weeknight. The trick to this dessert is very ripe strawberries – the recipe relies on their natural juices and sweetness. Make ahead and keep
covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- In a blender, purée 3 cups of strawberries with sugar and a light squeeze of lime juice until smooth. Strain through a sieve to remove seeds. Set strawberry sauce aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream yogurt, mascarpone cheese, honey, vanilla, lime zest and a pinch of salt. Taste to ensure you have a nice balance of sweet with the faint hint of lime and vanilla. Add a little more honey if required.
- To assemble your dessert cups, sprinkle a third of the cookie crumbs into the four vessels. Spoon
the mascarpone cream over the gingersnaps to create a 1” layer, followed by a layer of
strawberries then the strawberry sauce coulis. Repeat until to reach the top of the cup. Sprinkle any remaining crumb on the top.
- Chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve!