Strawberry & Rose Water Cream Cheese Danishes
For fruit filling:
- 1 lb. strawberries, halved lengthwise
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 strips of lemon peel
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanila paste or extract
- 3 tbsp powered sugar
- 1 package pre-rolled frozen puff pastry, thawed according the instructions
- 1 egg
- Splash of milk or water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios (optional)
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
I found this recipe in a breakfast cookbook bought on a whim from the bargain bin on Boxing Day. In the book, these are a brunch item, but I thought if you drizzled a lemon glaze and accessorized with pistachios, it might become a prime time dessert appetizer. And oooooh baby, was I ever right.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/3 of the strawberries, honey, lemon peel, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until strawberries have cooked down into a smooth, thick consistency. Add remaining strawberries and let simmer for 5 minutes; you want the fruit to soften but hold its shape. Remove from heat, then stir in rose water and put aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with egg yolk, vanilla and powdered sugar. Set aside. In another small bowl, whisk large egg with a splash of milk. Set aside.
- Roll out the sheets of puff pastry and cut each unto 9 equal pieces. Transfer pastries to baking sheets lined with parchment. Keep pastry in the fridge while you work on the first tray. Using a sharp knife, score creating a 1/3” border. Lightly brush the border with your egg wash. Dollop a tablespoon of cream cheese in the centre of each piece of pastry filling the inside of the scored border. Place into the freezer.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400℉. Once the oven is heated, remove pastries from the freezer. Spoon strawberry filling atop the centre of each pastry. Bake pastries for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Once pastries have completely cooled, in a small bowl combing powdered sugar with lemon juice and milk. If too thick, heat in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Then drizzle over pastries. Finish with a light dusting of crushed pistachios.