Super Caesar Salad
- 2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup black olive
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup popped amaranth
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Juice of lemon
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Black pepper, to taste
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
Who doesn’t love Caesar salad?! This souped up version packs in more nutrient dense greens and includes a super grain instead of croutons. Of course, no one would complain if you added croutons to this salad too. The dressing is super easy too. Once you learn how to make this cheater’s Caesar dressing, you’ll never buy another bottle again!
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Thin with water, if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine lettuce, kale, baby spinach, apple, cucumber and black olives. Add enough dressing to coat salad. Once you’re satisfied with the amount of dressing on your salad, give it a squeeze lemon juice and toss. Finish with parmesan and amaranth.
To pop amaranth, heat a large pot on medium-heat. Add 1 tbsp of amaranth seed and jostle pot to spread evenly. It should take 10 to 15 seconds for seeds to pop, if they don’t pot is not hot enough. Once they pop, place in sieve to separate from uncooked seeds. Repeat until you have enough amaranth. Detailed instructions can be found: https://greenhealthycooking.com/poppedamaranth/