Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger with Spiced Yogurt Drizzle
- Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 3 cups mashed sweet potato (from about 3roasted sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons light miso
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
Spiced yogurt drizzle:
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent. Raise the heat a little and add the ginger.
2. Fry until the ginger is fragrant, but don’t let the onions and garlic brown. Add the sweet potato mash and miso, and continue cooking until the puree is warmed.
3. Add the broth to the pan and stir to combine.
4. Bring to a simmer, then cover, turn the heat to low, and let the soup cook for about 5 minutes to bring the flavors together.
5. Remove from heat and puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Return to the heat and warm, whisking in the milk. Salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, whisk in a little extra milk until you get the consistency you want.
6. Whisk together the yogurt, garam masala, and maple syrup. Drizzle over the sweet potato soup to garnish.