Upma with Coconut Chutney & Masala Chai
- Shredded Carrots
- Green chillies
- Curry Leaves
- Peas (fresh or frozen)
Pantry & Spices
- Urad dal (split & skinned black gram dal)
- Chana dal (Split & skinned brown chickpea)
- Black pepper
- Coriander powder
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Raw peanuts
- Roasted Gram dal
- Grated Coconut
- Tamarind paste or dried
- Dry red Chilli (optional)
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
- In a large pan add 2 tbsp ghee and 1 tsp oil at medium heat. Once oil is hot add 1 tsp Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once mustard starts popping, add chopped 5 to 6 curry leaves, 1 cup white or red onion, 1 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp Chana dal and handful of cashews.
- Keep stirring until onions are translucent, add 1 or 2 chopped green chillies(as per heat preference) and ½ cup of peas.
- Add 2 cups of semolina, salt and black pepper and keep stirring.
- Keep roasting the semolina with all other things for another 5 mins. While roasting the semolina, start boiling water 4 times than semolina. 8 cups
- Once water is boiled and semolina is toasted, add the water and keep stirring quickly. Note: Semolina will absorb most of the water right away, so make sure you have more water than semolina.
- Once it is all mixed, cook for another 2 mins or till semolina is not sticking in the pot.
- Add chopped cilantro and serve with either coconut chutney or just by itself!
- In a small pan add 1 tbsp oil and roast, 2 tbsp raw peanuts and 2 tbsp roasted gram dal for couple mins
- Once it cools down, in a mixture grinder add 1 cup coconut, ½ cup coriander, 2 chilli, 1 inch ginger, small ball sized tamarind ot 1 tbsp tamarind paste and ¾ tsp salt with roasted peanuts and gram dal.
- Add ½ cup water in the mixture to make a smooth paste. Add the chutney in a bowl.
- Add more water as per your preference to make it thick or thin.
- Tadka: In a small pan add 3 tbsp oil of your preference, once it gets hot add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 dry red chilli, 4 to 5 curry leaves and ½ tsp asafoetida. Note: Be careful the mustard seeds will pop.
- Turn off the gas and pour oil mixture on the chutney and serve with Upma/ Dosa/ Idli or Meduvada.